How to train your body for Baycrest SEALFIT
On top of your regular training and following the 8 Weeks to SEALFIT book, you will need to build up a significant base stamina for running, rucking (running, walking, or hiking with a weighted backpack) and a few other activities to truly be ready for Baycrest SEALFIT.
For 20X participants: SEALFIT Bootcamp online training program is a great place to start.
For 20XL participants: It is recommended that you complete our SEALFIT Online Training for over 2 months prior to 20XL.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Get familiar with handling sandbags and logs before April. Buy a sandbag and incorporate it to your workouts. Start with 20 pounds. Practice lifting it over your head. Runs sprints with it in your driveway. Put it in your ruck (backpack) and hike with it. Do burpees with it. Same recommendation with a log. You can purchase a 4x4 or 6x6 log at Home Depot. Same drill. Push it over your head, do burpees with it, etc.
- Complete multiple ruck hikes. Hike with a weighted backpack. Put your sandbag in an internal framed backpack and go for a long walk in your neighborhood. Wear your boots. Increase the weight and speed each time.
- Complete a SEALFIT Physical Standards Test - Originally created to train Special Operations Candidates, the SEALFIT Physical Standards Test (PST) remains the same. You will be tested for maximum reps and it is strongly suggested that you are able to attain the following training standards:
4. Grab a friend and do a Buddy Carry. It's exactly what you think it is. You find a friend, pick him or her up and attempt to walk as far as you possibly can with the person on your back. And when we say walk as far as possible, aim for 1 km each.
5. Get wet, stay wet and learn to be content being wet.
6. Get cold, stay cold and learn to be content being cold.
7. Combine 5 & 6.